Speed is an individual Stat, initially equal for all troopers. Officially, it represents your Trooper's movement speed, but other effects have been noted as well. Shock Troopers rely on it pretty much.
Naturally, during Initiative boosts, the faster a trooper moves, the more time he has for shooting.
Ways to Alter Speed
- Manning a Helicopter (significant boost).
- Utilising Wife Beater (+30%, +30% to Dodging).
- Utilising Thermos of Coffee (+25%).
- Upgrading to Amphetamine Shot (+100% for 500 turns).
- Upgrading to Hurry (+10%, +100% to frequency of using equipment and abilities).
- Upgrading to Hyperactive (+50%, interference on the enemy).
- Upgrading to Sprinter (+100%).
- Upgrading to Survival Instinct (+50% under 50% ).
- Upgrading to Enthusiastic (+25% on 100% ).
- Upgrading to Huge Calves (+25%, +3 ).
- Upgrading to Hard Boiled (negates penalty for being injured).
- Upgrading to Sturdy (negates heavy weapon penalty, +3 ).
- Sustaining injuries (up to -75%).
- Carrying heavy weapons (-50%, stacks for multiple arms).
- Utilising Heavy Armor (-20%, -1 Damage).
- Upgrading to Heavyweight (-20%, +10 ).
Below is a short video showing a trooper with many speed skills but no initiative skills. This trooper performs actions before the newly deployed opposing troopers.
The skill Huge Calves specifically states 'movement' speed (so too does the French version of Sprinter), the need to state 'movement' implies that the other speed skills could be offering some unidentified benefits.
A comparison of Thermos of Coffee (+25%) to Sprinter (+100%) would say that adding 25% to these other unidentified benefits 'should' have a value that is equal to adding 75% to only the movement speed (and freeing one equipment slot).
To help with this confusion, there is now a Speed skill testing page.